Dedicated to family travel. This blog used to be about the "girls only" trips, but lately I've decided it'll do nicely for all our travel adventures whether lots of us are going or only one or two of us.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Skabelund December 2012 Cruise!




We got a Promenade room this time.  We overlooked the promenade.  We wondered if it might be a little noisy, but it was just fine.  There was only one parade this cruise.  They have teamed up with DreamWorks, so it was Madagascar characters.  I think I liked the other ones better.  We watched it from our room so my pictures aren't great.  Several times during the cruise certain characters would be available at certain places so the kids could go meet them and do photos and such.  Might be fun if you had little kids.
 
The entertainment was great this time around.  Maybe it's just cuz I'm comparing to the Carnival cruise in Nov.  It was so much better than that.  The first production number was called "In The Air".  It was acrobatic like Cirque Du Soleil with music too.  I enjoyed it, but Marty thought it was boring.  One night they had a group that looked and sounded like the Beatles.  They were absolutely amazing!!!  Called the Beatle Maniacs I think.  If you ever get the chance, go see them.  It was really fun.  The last night was Saturday Night Fever The Musical.   Apparently the movie was made into a musical and has been on Broadway and such.  People had been talking about it from day one so we were really excited to see it.  It was BORING!  We all wanted to leave (like lots of other people did) but couldn't bring ourselves to be that rude.  I think they did a good job with it, but I didn't like it as a musical and didn't care for the arrangements of the music.  Also, there were several songs that weren't even in the movie.  Anyway....
 
We spent one day in Haiti.  None of us wanted to hang on the beach or get in the water, so we just shopped a little and walked a LOT!  Marty's knee bothers him, so all the walking and ship stairs was hard on him.  Not to mention that two days before the cruise he woke up with a killer backache.  Ended up making two visits to the chiropractor before we left.  It's still bothering him, but he's treating it with therapy and heat and such.
 
We spent a day in Falmouth, Jamaica.  It's a fairly new port for RCCL I think.  There were tons of stores right off the ship.  Everything there is brand new.  We opted not to do any excursions.  Just shopped and enjoyed the empty ship.  
 
So there were several major changes this time around.  One thing was the Bingo.  The first 2-3 days there was only one game per day.  Not one session, but ONE GAME.  That seemed a little strange.  We only did bingo for the Win A Cruise session.  We didn't even get close on the cruise bingo, but Marty won a game in that session.  Sadly, he had to split it with another winner, but it was still almost $150.  
 
There are now electronic screens by all the staircases.  They are touchscreens.  You can look up certain venues on the ship and it will give you directions of how to get there from where you are.  It also has the cruise compass on it so you can always know what is going on.  Can't remember what else is on it, but they were handy.
 
They have completely changed their menus and food.  There was NO escargots this time.  Every night there is a different theme to the dinner menu.  One night was saffron, one night jasmine, etc.  The food was still very good, but I thought there were better menu choices before.  I still think that the choices were much better than the selections on Carnival though.  
 
I remember thinking on the Feb. cruise that it was almost boring cuz everything was exactly the same as my past cruises and it had been several years since I'd cruised.  Now they made changes and I kept thinking that I wished things were like the old days.  I guess there is just no pleasing me.  At any rate, we had a nice, relaxing time.  Marty got a nap every day, so I think he felt right at home!  I'd go hang out on deck or in the movie theater while he slept.  Mostly with Matt and Liz. 

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I'm ready to go again. Way too cold here for my liking. But instead we ship Jared off for DC on Thursday this week. He refuses to take a COAT despite his teacher explaining that the cold will be a wetter cold in DC and he will freeze. Whatever!!!